Tuesday, October 21, 2025

Being called “”Laowai” in Canada

 I would appear in public in China and would hear the locals exclaim “Laowai” which means foreigner in Chinese.  Walk down the street, a vehicle passes and I could hear a passenger say “Laowai!” Walk into a Chinese shopping mall or encounter children: “Laowai!”

I suppose it’s one aspect of China I don’t miss 

Although, today in Brandon, I was referred to as “Laowai” in Brandon and I found it amusing.  What happened was, I went to an Asian supermarket where I was told I could use my WeChat pay.  It turned out it could be done but only when the boss was there.  I got the clerk to contact the boss using WeChat and I was able to arrange payment.  During the phone call, the clerk spoke in Chinese and said “Laowai”.  I was the very rare one who wanted to use WeChat pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday 6:25 AM

 I overslept this morning.