Monday, October 5, 2026

I was called Laowai!

 It was not uncommon for me in China to be called Laowai 老外 or overhear locals referring to me as 老外。 I could tell stories about this but I won’t.

I can remember walking down the street in Wuxi, seeing a vehicle pass by and heard the passengers saying 老外。

Other times, I would walk pass a group of local kids and they would jump up and down, and scream 老外!

I’d walk into a mom and pa shop in China and hear the proprietors exclaim 老外!

Today, I walked into one of Brandon’s many Asian grocery stores, and a Chinese customer saw me and said 老外 to that store’s proprietor.  I said: wait a minute! This isn’t China!

2 comments:

  1. Hallooooooo laowei! Hallooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 你好! 我是加拿大人在加拿大。在加拿大,我不是来外!

    ReplyDelete

Wednesday 5:42 AM

 Another moony morning view. Oh, the sots and thralls of lust The heroic minute. It is the time fixed for getting up. Without hesitation: a...